Afternoon Tea Churros
- 140g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 120g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Piping bag w/ star nozzle
- Cinnamon sugar (cinnamon and caster sugar mixed)
- Strawberry jam & clotted cream to serve
1) Sift flour into a large bowl, with a pinch of salt, caster sugar and the zest of one lemon. Mix.
2) In a large saucepan, add the boiling water, vanilla extract and butter. Heat gently until the butter is melted.
3) Once the mixture in the saucepan is boiling, turn off the heat and add the flour mixture. Beat quickly until lump free and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
4) Beat in three large eggs one by one until the mixture is thick and sticky. Leave to cool for another 10-15 minutes.
5) Transfer churro mixture into a piping bag with a wide star nozzle.
6) Heat oil in a large saucepan until 180°C. Pipe the churro mix into the oil, snipping the end with scissors. Cook 3-4 at a time. Cook for 5 minutes until golden brown.
7) Drain the churros on some kitchen towel, then coat in a cinnamon sugar mix.
8) Serve with strawberry jam and clotted cream for a delicious twist on afternoon tea!