Chili Stuffed Garlic Bread
- 250 grams lean minced beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder (spiciness to your preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 300 millilitres beef stock
- ½ can (200 grams) of chopped tomatoes
- ½ can (about 120 grams when drained) of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 crusty baguette
- 50 grams butter, melted
- Handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 50 grams cheddar, finely grated
1. In a saucepan, cook the onion and 2 garlic cloves in a little oil.
2. After a minute or so, add the minced beef, breaking it up with a spoon.
3. When the mince has browned, stir in the chilli powder, cumin, ground coriander, and the plain flour.
4. Stir in the beef stock, tomatoes, tomato purée, oregano, and salt.
5. Place a bay leaf into the mixture, loosely cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool some so you don’t burn yourself during the next bit!
6. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
7. Top and tail the baguette, then cut it into 3-4 equal rolls.
8. Hollow out each roll, allowing a thin border of bread around the outside.
9. Stuff each roll with chili using a teaspoon. Try to really fill them up.
10. Make the garlic butter by stirring in 2 cloves of crushed garlic and a handful of parsley into the melted butter.
11. Coat each stuffed roll with a generous helping of garlic butter.
12. Top with a healthy portion of finely grated cheddar.
13. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
14. Serve and enjoy!