Eton Mess Sponge
- 140g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra for coating
- 140g unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g crushed meringue
- Pinch of salt
- 200g strawberries
- 75g icing sugar
- 250ml double cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line a 6×10 inch square tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs to the batter along with the vanilla extract and mix again to combine.
3. Add the flour, baking powder and 50g of the crushed meringue and gently mix together. Pour into the prepared tray.
4. Cut 3 strawberries in half. Place evenly on top of the mixture and then sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of caster sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
5. Once done, leave the cake to cool on a cooling rack. Slice up the rest of the strawberries and prepare the topping by whisking the icing sugar and double cream together.
6. Spread on top of the cake and scatter on the sliced strawberries and remaining 50g of crushed meringue.