Fried Grilled Cheese
PREP TIME: 25 Minutes
COOK TIME: 10 Minutes
SERVINGS: 16 Fried Sandwiches
- 8 slices thick white bread
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2-3 quarts oil for frying (peanut or canola is best)
1) In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and salt. Add breadcrumbs to a large dish. Set aside.
2) To build the grilled cheese: spread mayonnaise on both inside slices of bread and add two slices of cheese to each sandwich. Cut each sandwich into four triangular pieces.
3) Dredge each sandwich quarter into the egg mixture, then coat thoroughly in bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all pieces have been coated. Freeze for 10 minutes.
4) Fill a deep pan with oil and heat over medium high heat. Fry 2 to 4 sandwich quarters at a time, trying not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for 1-2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove from the oil to a paper towel lined plate or a cooling rack over a paper towel lined baking sheet.
5) Serve with dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!