Lemon Meringue Bites
- 500 grams shortcrust pastry
- 4 lemons
- 300 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams butter (plus more for greasing)
- 6 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 180°C / 350˚F.
2. Dust surface with flour and roll out shortcrust pastry until thin (about a pound coin thickness). Use a 10cm pastry cutter to cut out 12 circles. Re-roll the off cuts if necessary.
3. Mould the pastry circles into a greased muffin tin and bake for 20 mins, or until golden brown.
4. In a large bowl over a pot of simmering water, add the zest and juice of the lemons, sugar, and the butter, and heat until the butter has melted completely.
5. Whisk together 3 eggs and an egg yolk and add to the bowl. Whisk and then simmer for 15 minutes until the lemon curd is thick and can coat the back of your spoon. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
6. To make the meringue, whisk 2 egg whites until stiff, then gradually add in 100g sugar and whisk until stiff peaks are formed.
7. Add the lemon curd, then a dollop of meringue to the baked pastry cups, using the end of your spoon to form the peaks. Put under the grill for 5 minutes until the meringue has stiffened and browned.