Maple Pecan Banana Bread Cupcakes
- 200g dairy free margarine
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g dark chocolate chips
For the icing:
- 30g pecans, toasted, plus extra to decorate
- 60g dairy free margarine
- 3 tbsp dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 450g icing sugar
- Banana chips, to decorate
1) Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with paper cases and preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F
2) Beat the margarine and sugar together in a bowl with an electric whisk until fully combined, light and fluffy. Add the mashed bananas, maple syrup and vanilla to the bowl and mix well.
3) In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt. Add the banana and sugar mixture to the flour and mix everything together until it is fully combined.Stir through the chocolate chips then spoon into the cupcake cases.
4) Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean (apart from if you hit chocolate!).
5) Meanwhile, blitz the 30g toasted pecans to a fine powder in a food processor. Beat the margarine and milk together then carefully add the icing sugar, mixing until it is thick and smooth. Stir through the pecan dust.
6) Once the cupcakes have completely cooled decorate them with the icing either by hand using a palette knife or using a piping bag if you prefer a neater look. Top with the remaining pecans and the banana chips.