Pesto and Mozzarella–Stuffed Risotto Balls
Servings: 10-12 balls
- 2 Chicken stock cubes
- Pinch of saffron
- 50g butter
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 300g arborio/risotto rice
- 125ml white wine
- 25g parmesan (grated)
- 70g mozzarella – 35g diced and 35g of slightly bigger chunks to stuff the arancini balls with
- 50g pesto
- 3 eggs (for coating)
- 175g breadcrumbs (for coating)
- Oil (enough to deep fry)
1. Dissolve 2 chicken stock cubes in 1 litre of water and turn the heat down to the lowest setting.
2. Stir a pinch of saffron leaves to the stock.
3. In a separate medium/large pot, melt 50g of butter.
4. Stir the diced onion into the butter, cook until soft.
5. Add the arborio rice to the butter and cook on a low/medium heat until butter has been absorbed.
6. Stir the wine into the risotto and cook again until it has been mostly absorbed.
7. Add 1 ladle of stock to the arborio rice and cook until it absorbs completely, stir occasionally.
8. Continue adding stock, 1 ladle at a time, allowing liquid to absorb before adding another ladle. Continue to cook until the rice is tender and the consistency is smooth and creamy. This should take approximately 20-25 minutes.
9. Stir in 25g of grated parmesan.
(This can be served for dinner as is – or make double and you can have this tonight and arancini tomorrow!).
10. To continue making the arancini, cool the mixture in the fridge or use some cold, leftover risotto.
11. Stir in 35g of diced mozzarella.
12. Using your hands, form the mixture into tight balls, about the size of a golf ball.
13. Press your thumb into the ball and add a chunk of mozzarella and 1/2 tsp pesto, cover it up and shape so the cheese and pesto are fully engulfed within the ball.
14. Dip the ball into beaten egg then the breadcrumbs.
15. Deep fry the balls in small batches until they are golden brown, turning as necessary (about 3 minutes on each side).