Spicy Scotch Egg
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 300 grams beef mince
- 75 grams breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil
1. Place four eggs into a pot of rapidly boiling water for exactly five minutes. Remove and immediately place in a bowl of cold water.
2. Fry the cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds in a small amount of oil for two minutes until fragrant. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and fry until golden. Mix in the coriander, salt, and chilli powder and fry for two more minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, mix the beef mince, onion mix, breadcrumbs, and the remaining, uncooked egg, and form into four equally sized pieces.
4. On a piece of clingfilm, flatten the mince into a rough circle shape and place the boiled eggs (peeled) from earlier in the centre. Wrap carefully and mould into a ball, making sure there are no cracks.
5. Heat oil to 170°C and deep fry for 5 minutes.