Taco Courgette Boats
For the Beef mixture:
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 pepper, diced
- 500g mince
- 75g cheddar cheese
- 4 courgettes
- Hollowed out courgette meat (optional)
For the taco seasoning:
- 1 tsp chilli powder (mild, medium or hot – depending on your preference)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Cooking oil
- Soured cream
- Jalapeño chillies
1. Make the taco seasoning by stirring together all of the spices along with a pinch of salt and some pepper.
2. Cook the onions over a medium heat with a little oil for 3 minutes.
3. Add the peppers and cook for a further 2 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in the mince, cooking until brown.
5. Sprinkle over the taco seasoning.
6. Stir in half of the cheese and remove from the heat.
7. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Top and tail the courgettes and slice them in half lengthways.
8. Make a boat out of the courgettes by hollowing them out – leaving about 1cm of flesh inside. We did this by cutting a slit down each side lengthways, then making more cuts going across about 1 inch apart, then we used a teaspoon to scoop it all out. (feel free to use the scooped out courgette in the beef mixture, adding at the same time as the peppers).
9. Generously spoon the beef taco mixture into the hollowed out courgette halves.
10. Transfer the courgettes to a baking tray, cove with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
11. Remove the foil, top with with remaining cheese and grill for a further 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
12. Top them with tomato salsa, guacamole, soured cream and jalapeño chillies.